The Domestic Violence Support Male Group Facilitator Lead-Part Time
The facilitator of a domestic violence support group has a central role to make the sessions safe, supportive and inclusive. His skills, experience and knowledge on domestic violence, as well as the self-help group dynamics, assist the participants to maintain group cohesion, respect and stability. To follow the Duluth Domestic Violence Curriculum as instructed by supervisor. (Training Provided)
A facilitator of a support group should fully embrace these key principles as the foundation of “best practice” in providing service for domestic violence survivors:
- safety, security and dignity
- understanding domestic and sexual violence and its impact on women & children
- empowerment and participation
- diversity and fair access to services
- advocacy and support
- supervision by a collaborative agency
- zero tolerance of domestic and sexual violence; holding perpetrators accountable
- governance and accountability
- Receive 6 hours of continue education (Agency Provides)
- Attend any scheduled facilitation meetings
- Complete group notes and lesson plans as instructed at the end of each lesson
- Must have not been convicted of any domestic violence related offense in the last 5 years.
Education, qualifications and training
A facilitator who has prior experience of working within a educational group will generally possess the fundamental knowledge, skills and attitudes needed. In addition, some facilitators may have some relevant training for work within the domestic violence field, and/or a relevant degree or qualification such as social work. Training for 2 to 4 weeks will be provided.
B.A in Human Services related field or Master Degree or higher, bilingual a plus or experience with
The facilitator should possess skills that enable them to run the group effectively andensure that collective and individual needs are met.
The following specific facilitatorskills are essential for a successful self-help group:
- excellent group management skills, including the ability to plan and facilitate group sessions effectively;
- excellent communication skills, including clear verbal delivery & positive body language;
- active listening skills, and the ability to respond empathetically to the group members;
- the ability to challenge participants, where relevant and necessary, in a non-confrontational but assertive manner;
- the ability to handle issues, such as anger, in the group;
- an understanding of professional boundaries and the facilitator’s limitations within the group, e.g. not getting personally involved with the women’s lives; not counseling;
- self-initiative to plan and execute their group facilitation responsibilities effectively;
- ability to apply anti-discriminatory practice and equal opportunities into all aspects of the support group;
- ability to evaluate the effectiveness of the support group and report on the outcomes;
- the ability to use basic information technology, such as searching the internet and word processing is preferred.
Days and Times:
Tuesday and Thursday 6:00pm to 7:30on
Thursday 10:00am to 11:30am
Saturday 11:00am 12:30pm
NOTE: If your schedule only allows you to work all of those days, we are flexible with schedule.
$15.00 per hour for B.A or depending on experience
$25.00 for Master Degree or Higher
Equal Employment Opportunity
Community Intervention & Educational Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which does not discriminate on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetics, medical condition, family care status, marital status, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, or pregnancy.
Diversity at Community Intervention & Educational Services
Community Intervention & Educational Services makes every effort to seek and give opportunities to those minorities who well feel may fit with our organizations mission and goals. We use the following organizations to seek some of the best-qualified individuals. Urban League, the National or from websites like diversityworking.com that offer searchable channels of minority job hunters.
If you have a disability that requires accommodation during the selection process, please notify Human Resources Department prior to the final filing date.